Friday, July 6, 2007

Mind over matter?

I've been running for a few years now, since 2000. Not always consistently, by any means, but over time, I have some decent miles on my legs and muscle memory can take over where my training leaves off.

But when marathon training season comes around, I start having the same doubts every time, i.e. "What the hell am I doing this for?" or "I hate running long!" or "Am I going to be able to finish this long run?"

Clearly, after 4 marathons, I can go the distance. I just find it strange that sometimes my mind has more power than my body - or actually, that I GIVE my mind the power over my body. So maybe it's just a matter of "don't think, just run."

2 comments:

Tom@RunnersLounge said...

Every marathoner wonders the same. When your mileage starts to build, your confidence will soar and you'll be amazing again. After all, you are a marathoner. Your mind is your training partner too so let it do its work. What marathon are you training for?

http://blog.runnerslounge.com

elizabethnyc said...

Tom, I'm training for Chicago this year...